Nadine Velazquez came to widespread public notice after playing Catalina Aruca on My Name Is Earl (2005-2009). Her other notable roles include playing Maria Chang on War (2007), Katerina Marquez on Flight (2012), Rosalita in a 2013 episode of Arrested Development, herself on real Husbands of Hollywood (2013-2014), Emma Rios on Major Crimes (2013-2017), and Jackie Ortiz on Six (2017-2018). Meanwhile, here are things you didn’t know about Nadine Velazquez.
Who Exactly is Nadine Velazquez?
Nadine Velazquez is an American model and actress. She was born in Chicago, Illinois on the 20th of November, 1978. Albeit being American by nationality, Nadine has Puerto Rican origins.
Velazquez grew up in her birth town of Chicago where she attended the Notre Dame High School for Girls. She subsequently studied Marketing at the Columbia College, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in the field in 2001. Nadine also trained for two years at The Joanne Baron DW Brown Studio in Santa Monica, California. On completing her education, she started working as a model and actress, appearing in several print and television advertisements including a McDonald commercial which was her first job.
In 2003, Nadine made both her television show and movie debut in The Bold and the Beautiful and Biker Boyz respectively. Velazquez subsequently played minor roles in several movies, TV films and series including Blast (2004), The Last Ride (2004), Sueño (2005) House of the Dead 2 (2005), Entourage (2004), Hollywood Vice (2005) and Las Vegas (2005).
Following these, Nadine played her first starring and breakthrough role on the 2005 to 2009 NBC situation comedy series, My Name is Earl. She portrayed Catalina Aruca, a provocative motel maid in all episodes of the four-season sitcom. While playing Catalina, Velazquez also starred alongside popular Chinese actor, Jet Li on the high-grossing American action thriller movie, War (2007). In 2008, Nadine served as a judge on the Miss Universe beauty pageant. She subsequently hosted the 2009 Miss USA contest.
After playing bit parts in several movies, TV films and series, Velazquez appeared in a recurring role on The League (2009). She played Sofia Ruxin in 26 episodes of the FX sitcom which lasted until 2015. Within this period, she also starred alongside Denzel Washington on the 2012 box office hit, Flight. Nadine Velazquez also appeared on A Day in the Life (2009), All’s Faire in Love (2009), CSI: Miami (2010), Hawaii Five-0 (2010), and Hart of Dixie (2011-’12), among others.
Facts You Didn’t Know About Nadine Velazquez
1. Nadine Velazquez grew up idolizing the late 1980’s TV character, Punky Brewster portrayed by Soleil Moon Frye.
2. Obsessed with joining showbiz as a young girl, Nadine approached a talent agency all by herself at 13. They however rejected her on the basis of not having her parents’ green light.
3. Looking at her present success, one might scarcely believe Nadine’s rough beginnings. Her school expelled her at 14 for being too rascally and she abandoned home at 16! While struggling to find her feet in showbiz, she had to work as a waitress to survive.
4. Nadine Velazquez was the original cast for Maricruz Delgado, the girlfriend of Fernando Sucre (Amaury Nolasco) in Fox’s Prison Break (2005-2009). She however, forwent the role for My Name is Earl‘s Catalina Aruca. Camille Guaty played the Delgado role in her stead.
4. In 2005, Nadine made it to Daily Variety‘s “Ten Actors to Watch”, and USA Today‘s “Five Rising Stars to Watch Closely”. She also ranked 93rd, 39th, 61st and 41st on Maxim‘s “Hot 100” lists of 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 respectively.
6. One of Nadine’s favorite things to do is going naked. She loves her body and is very comfortable being in her own skin any day.
7. The cute actress does not need to work too hard to maintain a model’s stature – exercise or diet-wise! She said she inherited great genes from her parents, and so her soft spot for sweets and fried foods doesn’t really affect her.
9. The actress moreover adores royals – be it a prince, a king, a sultan or a count. In 2008, an already-married Nadine specifically said she “would definitely” abandon her husband for Prince William, should she ever get the opportunity! Eventually, Kate Middleton outsmarted her!
10. Nadine quit alcohol in 2006. That was after she discovered how much time being drunk takes out of her life.
11. Velazques can be weird. She has given specifications of what she wants her burial outfit to look like. According to the actress/model, she wants a long long-sleeve black Ralph Lauren dress and brown chunky boots, a Lauren model hairstyle, and natural makeup with a light pink lip!
12. Nadine is divorced with no child. She married, Marc Provissiero, an American talent agent in 2005. The duo divorced in 2011 and had no kids together.