News

Nigerian govt gives update on JOHESU’s strike

Boss Mustapha, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 has said that the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, is making every effort to resolve all issues and have the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) call its members back to work.

He also noted that the PTF viewed the recent declaration of industrial action by the JOHESU as rather unfortunate and capable of reducing the gains and endangering more lives amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mustapha stated this at the daily briefing of the task force on Monday in Abuja.

He said: “While this suggests that we are winning this war, the reality is that we need to improve on our commitment to eliminate the virus completely by abiding with the protocols so that we can return to a semblance of what was our normal life.

“In a very modest way, therefore, we could say that our National Response, under the guidance of Mr. President, is achieving impressive results, and this has been commended by our development partners.

“The PTF wishes to use this opportunity to also thank our development partners as their support has contributed in no small measures to the successes so far recorded and we count on their continued support as we progress in tackling this pandemic,” Mustapha said.

He added: “We, therefore, call on JOHESU to stand up to be counted at this critical moment because a continuation of the strike could jeopardize the small gains made in the fight against the virus and the efforts to transform our health systems.

“The Minister of Labour and Employment has assured that every effort is being made to resolve all issues and have JOHESU call its members back to work.”

Source: dailypost.ng