Man-U Rally Late On To 4-1 Victory Over Newcastle

 Manchester United’s Bruno Fernandes recovered from a rare penalty miss to set up a late 4-1 Premier League win for Manchester United at Newcastle United on Saturday.

The Portuguese international, who had never failed to score from the spot for United, looked to have blown away the visitors’ best chance of victory at St James’ Park when Newcastle’s English keeper Karl Darlow produced a magnificent stop.

That penalty came after defender Harry Maguire, fit despite a knock on international duty scored to cancel out a second-minute Luke Shaw own goal, with United dominant but set to be frustrated heading into the closing stages.

A pacy counter-attack produced the goods as Fernandes picked out the top-right corner before Aaron Wan-Bissaka lashed in a third and Marcus Rashford finished the 96th-minute fourth, ensuring United bounced back from the 6-1 defeat to Tottenham with all three points.

Shaw’s own-goal is the latest setback of his United career and came after just 102 seconds. He mistakenly toed Newcastle Swedish centre back Emil Krafth’s cross past a helpless David de Gea in United’s goal following a Newcastle counter.

The goal befitted the ragged start of the game which United dictated without initially threatening but were content to finding their range. After 19 minutes Fernandes thought he had scored only for his stunning strike to be ruled out due to an offside in the build-up.

But, it took all of four minutes after for the visitors to have their leveller, though, as captain Maguire – who missed from point-blank range at the same end of the stadium last season – headed Juan Mata’s corner into the goal this time.

De Gea saved Allan Saint-Maximin’s piledriver, while Darlow dealt with Wan-Bissaka’s wayward cross but was then grateful to Jamaal Lascelles for a goal-line clearance from Rashford, who saw another shot parried.

Another sublime stop from De Gea denied Callum Wilson from close range early in the second half, yet Newcastle survived an even greater scare when Jamal Lewis fouled Rashford. However, Darlow brilliantly repelled Fernandes’ spot-kick.

Jonjo Shelvey nodded another Maguire header away from the line moments later and Darlow came to the hosts’ rescue again with a brave block from the impressive Rashford.

When it appeared like that would be enough to preserve a home point and the spoils would be shared United’s late show dialled in. Fernandes applied a wonderful finish with four minutes left, before Wan-Bissaka rifled into the roof of the net and finally Rashford swept in number four with time up.

This was a much-needed win for United ahead of a pivotal stretch. They visit Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League on Tuesday, while Newcastle are not back in action until next Sunday’s trip to Wolves.