News

Coronavirus: Kwara to arrest, prosecute violators of safety protocols

Violators of the face masks wearing in public rules in Kwara State now risk arrest and prosecution.

The Chief Press Secretary to the governor and spokesman of the state COVID-19 technical committee, Rafiu Ajakaye announced this at a press briefing in Ilorin on Monday.

DAILY POST reports that the recent worrying spike in the cases of COVID-19 in the state compelled the government to embark on the latest strict compliance spelt out by the committee.

“Residents of Kwara State must use face masks in public places, keep physical distancing or stay indoors beginning from Friday, July 24, 2020,” the spokesman stated.

The government added that “violators of the latest directive including shop owners and drivers of commercial or private vehicles risk arrest and prosecution from July 31, 2020, under the Kwara State Infectious Diseases Regulations 2020.

“Consequently, effective this Friday, July 24, 2020, nobody would be allowed into any public building, markets, malls, transport, banks and so on without their proper use of the face masks as a safety measure to lessen the transmission of the virus.

The spokesman further said “By Friday, July 31, 2020, the government would commence strict enforcement of the State Infectious Diseases Regulations 2020.

“Henceforth, anyone seen outside without proper use of the face masks will be arrested, prosecuted in a mobile court, and taken to any of our quarantine centres,” he added.

The government also vowed to continue the raids on night clubs, viewing centres and other public places to enforce the safety guidelines spelt out to the citizens.

Ajakaye also disclosed that the government would meet the leadership of the Muslim community on Wednesday, July 22, 2020, to discuss the upcoming Eid-ul-Adha, a period of mass gathering and celebration and agree on the safest way to curb further community spread of the virus.

He said Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq and his Deputy, Kayode Alabi have both undergone test for COVID-19 which came out negative.

“However, a few workers in the Government House have tested positive and are being managed at the Infectious Diseases centre,” he added.

As of Sunday, July 19, 2020, the state recorded 585 confirmed cases of Coronavirus disease.

Of this number, 367 are active cases, while 204 were successfully managed and discharged to rejoin their families, with only 14 deaths recorded so far.

Source: dailypost.ng