- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 3 – 5 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Art / Crafts / Languages  , NGO/Non-Profit
Breakthrough ACTION is the United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID) flagship social and behavior change (SBC) project led by Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs (CCP). Breakthrough ACTION–Nigeria’s project goal is to increase the practice of priority health behaviors in malaria, maternal, newborn, and child health, including nutrition (MNCH+N), family planning/reproductive health (FP/RH), and tuberculosis (TB) at the national and sub-national levels in collaboration with the relevant USAID implementing partners (IPs). Breakthrough ACTION–Nigeria works with federal and state Ministry of Health programs, departments, and agencies to improve their SBC capacity and coordination.
Background and context:
Later this year, Breakthrough ACTION-Nigeria will conduct classroom training for its Community Volunteers (CV) to deliver social and behaviour change messages in their assigned communities in Ebonyi and FCT. Following the classroom training, the CVs will receive ongoing mentoring and coaching through supportive supervision visits by LGA supervisors. In order to complement supervision visits and to reinforce the classroom training, their training curriculum has been adapted to a Mobile Training Curriculum that will be delivered to CVs through their mobile phones using an Interactive Voice Response approach. Essential course material has been broken into 16 modules, which includes course content and pre- and post tests to measure how well CVs retained their learnings from the classroom training, and additional learning achieved after participating in the Mobile Training Course.
A Translation Consultant will independently undertake the translation of an (approximately 6,000 words at N12 per word) English document into Pidgin English or central Igbo, as assigned.
Approach to work:
The consultant will receive the mobile curriculum document in English in a Microsoft Excel file with a column for the translation. The document is divided into 16 modules, and the consultant will work independently to submit each module as and when completed for review and feedback.
The final translation should be in the translated text column in the Microsoft Excel file provided by BA-Nigeria.
- Qualifications and Specialized Knowledge (Lead/Technical Consultant):
- 3-5 years of experience translating English into central Igbo or Pidgin.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel
- Access to a laptop to accomplish the scope of work
- Availability during the consultancy period
Period of consultancy: Consultancy is expected to be awarded by August 19, 2020, and the completed transcripts should be submitted by August 28, 2020.
Reporting: The Translation Consultant will report to Breakthrough ACTION-Nigeria’s SBC and Innovations Advisor
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a PDF copy of their CV to: [email protected] using the “Consultancy Title and Language” as the subject of the email by 17th August 2020.
Application Instruction / Notice
- To apply for this position, please follow the instructions exactly as described below. Any submissions that do not follow the instructions exactly will be discarded without review:
- Address the education / experience requirement specified for the position with specific examples where necessary.
- Language skills. (Please note that language skills will be tested during interviews for shortlisted candidates.)
- Include the specific date when you would be able to begin work.
- CVs must be your first and last name in CAPS (e.g.: UGO NGOZI).
- The subject line of your email should be the consultancy title and language. E.g. “Translation Consultant – Igbo”
- Do not include any additional certificates or documentation. Any applications that include certificates or other documents will be deleted immediately