- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 15 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date: 03-Aug-2020
Duration of Initial Contract: 12 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 12 Months
- This position is located in the Presidency. The incumbent will report to the UNDP Senior Economist and is responsible for the provision of technical advice and support in respect of strategy, planning and research required to support and deliver on key Presidential economic and social development priorities.
- The Consultant may be requested to perform any other functions of a technical advisory role in line with advancing the Government’s post-COVID-19 recovery plans as well as in the ongoing efforts to leapfrog national development within the overall context of the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The overall objective of the Consultant is to support the Government of Nigeria through the provision of high-quality technical and policy advice and support to the Office of the Chief of Staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policy Advisory Service:
- Provide technical advice and support in respect of strategy, planning and research required to support and deliver on key Presidential economic and social development priorities.
- Initiate periodic policy reviews in close consultation with relevant Ministries, agencies, and parastatals to provide advice on the effectiveness and efficacy of policies.
- Establish critical linkages with relevant Government agencies, Ministries and parastatals and participate in policy making processes and to advise accordingly to achieve progress in the identified Presidential initiatives.
- Facilitate the translation of policy intent and Presidential decisions in the identified areas into viable tasks, and projects to ensure their effective and timely implementation.
- Provide substantive back-up in key policy decision making processes.
- Ensure that advice and information on cross-cutting issues is coordinated with all relevant Ministries, Agencies and parastatals prior to submission to submission of strategic advice.
- Ensure the proper conduct of processes critical to the delivery of mandate implementation, particularly strategic planning, policy coordination and the provision of strategic advice for high-level decision-making.
Liaison and Government Relations:
- Liaise with international partners and multi-lateral financial institutions, including the United Nations Country Team for support on key Presidential economic and social development priorities in close coordination and consultation with other relevant actors in Government to advance objectives of these priorities.
- Liaise with other arms of government, Ministries, Agencies and Parastatals in close coordination with other principal leads at the Presidency to ensure seamless coordination of work-flow processes between the different government entities and provide advice to fast- track the achievement of the goals of the key Presidential economic and social development priorities.
- Provide substantive backstopping to the Chief of Staff in all meetings on the key Presidential economic and social development priorities.
- Participate in meetings as directed and provide feedback to facilitate progress in the implementation of the critical development projects and initiatives forming the key Presidential economic and social development priorities.
- Represent the Chief of Staff in high-level meetings, discussions and negotiations on the implementation of the critical development projects and initiatives forming the key Presidential economic and social development priorities. Draft memos, reports, assessments and analysis as may be required.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Ability to work with a multi-cultural and diverse team
- Ability to produce high quality work under pressure of tight schedules and timelines
- Professionalism: Demonstrated ability to: provide advice in a broad range of strategic, policy, management and development issues to Governments, international organizations, and in other high-level leadership settings; lead integrated processes, and, ensuring the timely delivery of a programme of work.
- Track record of providing leadership in project monitoring and implementation, problem solving and continuous organizational improvement for effective programme delivery.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards, operates in compliance with organizational rules and regulations, supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of work unit, where applicable.
- Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision; Considers positive and negative impact on others and on the Organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in one of the following disciplines: international relations, political science, social sciences, business administration, public administration, management, and Law.
- A minimum of fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in such areas as: international organizations, government, political, social, civil, or legal affairs; public or business administration; or management is required;
- A proven track record of leadership and management in multicultural settings, including coordination of interdisciplinary teams, is required;
- Experience in a senior managerial capacity, providing clear advice on complex organizational or bureaucratic issues to inform the decision making of high-level leadership is required;
- Experience in leading the implementation of strategic development frameworks, multi-donor development funds, stakeholder relationship management, inter-agency coordination and knowledge and familiarity in engagements with Governments and international partners are desirable.
- Fluent in english.