- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Location Borno
- Job Field Safety and Environment / HSE
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The purpose of the Safety Assistant role is to act as operations and communications focal point to the DRC mission staff for both the day-to-day operational needs and during security and medical emergencies
- The Safety Assistant will be the persons responsible for the management of communications and staff movement monitoring, ensuring compliance with the DRC MOSS, as well as all safety and security policies, procedures and protocols.
Staff movements and accountability oversight and support at field level across the North East Regional States:
- Provide a 24-hour overwatch on all DRC Nigeria deep field locations by acting as an immediate point of contact for all staff 24/7
- Monitors, tracks, logs and reports all DRC Nigeria staff movements at field level across the BAY regional states
- Monitors and logs all radio and satellite communications with DRC Nigeria field staff and other delegated focal persons
- Monitors and logs all DRC Nigeria staff movements.
Security Incidents and Data Management:
- Monitor, log and report on the security context via local and external sources within the BAY region
- Monitor the local and national news/media platforms
- Draft and disseminate the daily media monitoring reports
- Receive, log and disseminate daily security incident alerts, advisories and updates when/if required ensuring timely notification to DRC Mission
- Communicate all changes in the Safety Level at field level when directed by the Country Safety Coordinator
- Ensure all safety and security incidents are logged and reported using the DRC reporting mechanism.
Administrative and Operational Support:
- Play an active role of the DRC Nigeria Missions Safety and Security Department
- A key player in the DRC Nigeria Missions country communications and staff accountability plan by providing technical communications support
- To serve in the shift duties and operate various types of communications equipment on a daily basis
- Responsible for the issue of communications devices, supporting accessories and relevant documentation
- Be able to operate Motorola VHF/UHF radio, tracking devices, Thuraya and iridium satellite communications equipment
- Be able to carry out maintenance, function’s tests and repairs on all communications equipment operated in the DRC Nigeria Mission
- Conduct weekly situation reports to the Safety Team Leader
- Conduct Security Risk Assessments and Safety Improvement Plans when required
- Remain flexible for out of area assignments when/as required
- Attend internal and external training programs organized by the Country Safety Coordinator
- Ensure the missions communications and staff accountability plans, procedures and protocols are adhered to at all times across DRC’s AoR
- Collates and submit the daily staff evacuation list to the Country Safety Coordinator and respective Area Manager daily.
- A minimum of five (05) years experience in the military or police as either a communications specialist, signaler and/or radio operator
- Tertiary education (Bachelor minimum) in Security Management, Communication, Politics, Risk or any other related field
- Three (03) years experience working with UN agencies, INGOs and/or international development organizations
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Stable, reliable, moral and robust character and a good team-player
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humour
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Strong logging and reporting skills
- Strong information technology skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Fluent in English and Hausa (written and spoken).
- Master’s Degree in Security Management, Communication, Politics, Risk or any other related field (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions
- Demonstrative experience in INGO / NGO or UN field (operations) with experience of safety and security.
- Availability: ASAP
Salary and Conditions
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for tax returns.
Method of Application
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Recruitment Manager”.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered
- Applications sent / received after the deadline will not be considered
- The position is for Nigerian nationals only.
- DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
Interested and qualified? Go to Danish Refugee Council (DRC) on candidate.hr-manager.net to apply