Number of Slot: 1
Specialization: Legal / Law
Work Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Job Type: Full-Time
Location(s): Abuja, Lagos, Rivers (PH)
Facebook – Founded in 2004, Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Over 2 billion people use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, or Messenger every month to stay connected with friends and family, to discover what’s going on in the world, and to share and express what matters to them.
Facebook is defined by our unique culture – one that rewards impact. We encourage people to be bold and solve the problems they care most about. We work in small teams and move fast to develop new products, constantly iterating. The phrase “this journey is 1% finished” reminds us that we’ve only begun to fulfill our mission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Public Policy Manager, Anglophone West Africa
Job Location: Nigeria, Remote
Facebook’s Mission is to give People the Power to Build Community and Bring the World Closer Together. Our Africa Public Policy team is seeking a Public Policy Manager who can contribute to its effort to work with all stakeholders to ensure that Africa is characterized by policy environments that enable innovation and technology. It goes without saying that candidates must be passionate about Africa and utterly convinced of the critical role technology plays in driving the continent’s socio-economic development.
The successful candidate will be a public policy expert who can combine a passion for technology’s potential to create opportunity and to make Africa more open and connected, with deep knowledge of the political and regulatory dynamics across the anglophone West Africa region. The Manager of Public Policy, Anglophone West Africa, will report to the Head of Policy for Anglophone West Africa, and will become part of a team that is dealing with some of the most interesting public policy questions of our times. These include privacy, safety and security, investment in Africa’s broadband infrastructure, freedom of expression, taxation, the impact of the Internet on socio-economic development, and new opportunities for democratic engagement.
The culture of Facebook, one that reflects the diversity of people, ideas and beliefs of our Community, is one of the keys to our success. Facebook’s Africa Policy Team prioritizes this and is seeking someone who will bring their authentic self to work every day, displaying an unshakeable belief in Africa’s future, its people, and the role Facebook apps have to play in validating the present and creating the future.
Public Policy Manager, Anglophone West Africa Responsibilities
- Inform and support Facebook’s connectivity agenda and capacity building programs across the region
- Work with Facebook’s Politics & Government team to promote the use of Facebook as a platform for citizen and voter engagement to policymakers, civil society and other political influencers
- Work with Facebook’s Safety and Policy Programs teams and external policy and civil society partners to create and implement country and regional policy programs
- Represent Facebook in meetings with policy makers, NGOs, academia, the private sector and other stakeholders
- Build multi-stakeholder coalitions to help advance and support policies that facilitate innovation and technological development in anglophone West Africa
- Work with our Policy Programs team to create and implement programs to address key policy issues across the region
- Communicate Facebook’s positions on key policy issues in public presentations to a wide range of audiences through print, radio, TV and online media
- Support the Africa Public Policy team on any other priority policy issues and programs
- Shape research that will support evidenced-based policy development in the region
- A degree or advanced degree in a related field e.g Public Policy, Law, Politics, Development Studies, Economics
- Significant demonstrated experience in legislation and/or government relations and advocacy
- Keen understanding of political systems and relevant policy and civil society institutions across sub-Saharan Africa – with a particular focus on the West Africa region
- Significant experience living and working in at least one West African country required
- Excellent judgment, excellent communication and persuasive skills, creativity, perspective, the ability to work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment
- Experience in policy engagement or development for a multinational corporation or civil society institution
- Passion for connecting the unconnected, and extensive experience with relevant policy issues, including internet governance, data privacy, human rights/free expression, taxation, net neutrality, child online protection, digital literacy
- Excellent written and conversational English (writing samples will be required)
- Interest and ability to travel frequently (at least 50%) throughout West Africa region
- Fluency in technology and a passion for Facebook’s mission
Note: Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected].