- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 8 – 10 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Administration / Secretarial
Type of Post: Accompanied – Family
Expected Travel: up to 40%
Employee Duration: Active Full-Time
- CARE Nigeria is seeking an experienced Program Director who will be responsible for ensuring that CARE’s programs in Nigeria contribute to CARE’s vision, mission, and programmatic principles.
- S/He is expected to provide strategic leadership in the areas of program development, resource mobilization, knowledge management, and learning to ensure that CARE’s programs bring a significant contribution to reducing poverty and social injustice.
- This position holds an opportunity and expectation to exercise creative leadership, with the Program Director playing a leading role in ensuring program quality and impact and in contributing to the evolution of its presence in Nigeria and longer-term program strategy.
- The Program Director will be responsible for leading the development of long-term programming strategies in Nigeria while supporting CARE’s contribution to a large-scale humanitarian response in the Northeast of Nigeria. Ensuring CARE is addressing the underlying causes of poverty and social injustice and a strong focus on Gender Equality while ensuring alignment and coherence with global and regional strategies – in particular, CARE Internationals Vision 2030 and the West Africa Regional Strategy and Roadmap – will be crucial.
- The Program Director is fully responsible for the quality of CARE Nigeria’s programming, including compliance with established norms and standards of program excellence.
- The Program Director is a key member of CARE Nigeria Country Management Team. S/He participates in developing new partnerships and maintaining good relations with existing partners (Government of Nigeria, donors, INGOs, national NGOs and other key stakeholders) and will assume acting duties for the Country Director in his/her absence. In coordination with the Country Director, the Program Director in Nigeria will be required to represent CARE at a wide range of sectoral and inter-organizational forums, providing proactive, consistent and principled leadership consistent with CARE’s core values.
- The position, based in Abuja will report directly to the Country Director. As the hub of CARE’s programs will be in the northern Nigeria States, the position is expected to spend up to 35% of its time in Maiduguri and Gashua to work closely with the program teams based there.
- Program development and resource mobilization
- Country Office Program strategy and development
- Program quality and knowledge management, learning and accountability
- Supervision and management
- Develop and enhance relationships – existing and new partnerships, alliances, and networks
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in International Development or a relevant field. Master’s degree preferred
- 8-10 years of progressive overseas experience in humanitarian and development programs
- Substantial experience developing and leading large and complex humanitarian and development programs
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning
- Demonstrated experience in emergency response leadership and management
- Strong background in gender, including up to date knowledge of gender-integrated and focused programming across humanitarian/development sectors
- Demonstrated cross-cultural communication skills and working effectively with diverse teams
- Knowledge and experience of humanitarian and development programming in complex environments
- Strong gender programming knowledge/experience (including GiE and Gender Transformative programming)
- Track record of successful new business development
- Extensive conceptual skills including development of program strategy
- Demonstrated skills in program design (including proposal development), implementation, and evaluation
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English
- Facilitation and training skills
- Proficiency in WORD, Excel, PowerPoint
- Language Requirement: English
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to CARE on phg.tbe.taleo.net to apply