- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 5 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field Security / Intelligence
Ref Id: 2001577
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: FANIR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Duration: 11 months
Post Number: N/A
- The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. Massive population displacements and insecurity in the Lake Chad basin have put livelihoods and food security at high risk.
- The findings of the October 2018 Cadre Harmonisé analysis highlighted that between June and August 2019, 2.73 million in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States may struggle with high levels of food insecurity (Phase 3 and above on the Cadre Harmonisé scale).
- The conflict has uprooted over 2.0 million people from their homes. Of the total number of the displaced population, 81% IDPs are in Borno State, 11% in Adamawa and 8% in Yobe State (IOM DTM Round XXV of October 2018). However, in some areas, the situation is becoming more stable and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) are back home or close to their home. The conditions for recovery, resettlement and reconstruction are met and many donors are supporting FAO, to restore and promote sustainable agriculture-based livelihoods for food security and nutrition improvement in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States.
- The National Security Specialist, under the general oversight of the FAO Representative (FAOR) and direct supervision of the Head of the FAO North East Sub-Office, in close collaboration with the Emergency Programme Coordinator and under the technical guidance of the Regional Security Officer at the FAO Regional Office for Africa (RAF) and Officers of the FAO Security Service (CSDS) at headquarters, the National Security Specialist will be expected to fulfil all relevant technical functions aimed at protecting FAO personnel, premises, assets and operations in North East Nigeria and ensure compliance with United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS) requirements.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide professional security and safety service to enable FAO programme delivery;
- Monitor the security environment in the Area of Responsibility (AoR) of FAO Maiduguri and provide timely and accurate security information/advice to the FAO Maiduguri Office management and, upon request, to the Regional Security Officer at the FAO Regional Office for Africa (RAF) and FAO Security Service (CSDS) at headquarters;
- Assists FAO Maiduguri management to ensure continuing compliance with the United Nations security policies, practices and procedures and ensures their implementation in the AoR;
- Coordinate all security related issues at the FAO Maiduguri office with the aim of protecting personnel, premises, assets and operations;
- Maintain close security coordination with UNDSS, UNSMS security focal points; with government counterparts and other local authorities in the AoR (political and humanitarian, police, military, etc.);
- Provide written reports and assists FAO staff with compiling Security Incident Reports;
- Participate in Security Cell meetings and provides input to United Nations Security Management System and processes;
- Conduct security planning, coordination and provides operational support to FAO field missions;
- Conduct regular security surveys and ensures compliance with Security Risk Management measures for all offices in AoR;
- Provide security training/briefings to all staff, dependents and visitors;
- Contribute to the planning, coordination and execution of evacuations and relocations of staff;
- In coordination with CSDS HQ, provides advice on selection and procurement of other appropriate security and safety equipment;
- Perform other duties as required.
Candidates Will Be Assessed Against The Following
- National of Nigeria.
- Advanced university degree (for Consultants) in Risk or Emergency Management, Social / Political Science, Military Science, Public Administration, Law Enforcement, Law or closely related technical field;
- At least 5 years of security risk management or safety and security service in a national security and/or military/police setting including two years in a leadership role;
- Working knowledge of English (level C)
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in risk management, safety and security services;
- Extent and relevance of experience, preferably in the UN Security Management System;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the formulation, implementation and monitoring of safety and security policies;
- Demonstrated experience in writing concise reports in English;
Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field security coordination positions is desirable.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
Method of Application
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
Important Information / Notice
- Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
- FAO is a non-smoking environment
- If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
Interested and qualified? Go to Food and Agriculture Organization Of the United Nations on jobs.fao.org to apply