- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification Secondary School (SSCE)
- Experience 2 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Janitorial Services
Announcement Number: Abuja-2020-033
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series/Grade: LE – 13102
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE – 2
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- Summary: The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- For USEFM – FP is CC. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Basic Function of the Position –The incumbent is assigned to the Facility Management (FAC) as a gardener to perform gardening work on the Embassy Compound and all USG leased/owned properties.
- S/he is responsible for weeding, planting, pruning and watering, as well as the general maintenance and appearance of grounds and gardens at all of the USG compounds.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Experience: Two (2) years of gardening maintenance experience is required.
- Job Knowledge: Must have understanding of the concept of gardening maintenance and equipment. Knowledge of Nigeria horticulture environment is required.
- Education Requirements: Completion of Primary School is required.
- Evaluations: This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Language: Limited knowledge in Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to lift up to 23kgs and undertake manual labor is required. Must be able to use a wide range of gardening equipment and powered hand tools.
- Must be able to conform to established safety and health policy and procedures, as well as ability to properly utilize appropriate protective equipment as required by the job activity.
Equal Employment Opportunity (Eeo):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- NGN N2,441,140, USD $21,974
Method of Application
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Primary School Certificate
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section 09-461-4000 [email protected]
Interested and qualified? Go to US Embassy on erajobs.state.gov to apply