- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 5 years
- Location Adamawa , Borno
- Job Field Consultancy
CFCV No. : CFCV2020/038
Locations: Borno & Adamawa (Remotely)
Organizational Unit : SHELTER, Emergency Response
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultancy, 55 Days
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
- The objective of this consultancy is to conduct a detailed assessment across various Local Government Areas of Borno and Adamawa States in North East Nigeria in camps and camp like settings in order to understand the perspective and needs of Persons with Special Needs (PWSN) and improve designs related to shelter and settlements planning with disability inclusion.
- Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office (Maiduguri), and direct supervision of the Programme Manager (Shelter), the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out an assessment on shelter and settlement needs of PWSN in camps and camp like settings in NE Nigeria and provide design recommendations based on the findings. While the consultancy will be home-based, enumerators from IOM Nigeria will be available for physical data collection from field locations within Borno and Adamawa States.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Conduct literature review of similar documents in other contexts, conduct desk study of existing shelter and settlement options for IDPs in NE Nigeria in order to understand the particular context as well as linking with existing tools from the Disability Inclusion Working Group of the Global Shelter Cluster and evaluate whether tools are appropriate to the needs of the consultancy.
- Design, plan and conduct assessment (or revise tools from GSC) on specific shelter and settlements related needs of PWSN in camps and camp like settings across selected locations in Borno and Adamawa states.
- Design, plan and conduct KII’s, FGD’s with IDPs with Special Needs and their care-givers living in various camps and camp like settings in selected locations in Borno and Adamawa.
- Consult with relevant stakeholders, such as the Protection Sector, government authorities, CCCM / Shelter / NFI Sector, Protection Sector, etc. or any agency working with PWSN as required, as well as consult internally with different units within the organization (CCCM, WASH, Protection, etc)
- Train enumerators to ensure the best quality for data collection and production of a sufficient baseline.
- Clean and merge the data on regular basis ensuring that all observations are uniquely identified and reported data is internally consistent. In addition, monitor the quality of the data collected.
- Analyze the data from assessments, interviews, discussions and evaluations, draft related reports, present the findings.
- Produce a final report that include all main sections: introduction, methodology, results and recommendation with narrative analysis of the results as well as provide practical and useful design recommendations with illustrations in addition to the narrative format. This should also include recommendations with regards to existing tools so that the needs of PWSN can be incorporated into these and better taken into account.
- Provide feedback to the Disability Working Group of the Global Shelter Cluster on applicability of existing tools, findings and recommendations.
Measurable Outputs of the work assignment
Below is the suggested workplan for the assignment:
- Desk study, developing the assessment methodology, and drafting survey, interview tools and questioners. (FGDs and individual interviews guidelines / questions as required)
- Training enumerators on the methodology of collecting the data and conducting test for the drafted tools.
- Consolidate and integrate comments and inputs received in relation to the interview tools, and the assessment methodology and finalize the documents.
- Collection of the quantitative and qualitative data,
- Cleaning and analyzing the data collected, Transcription of interviews / FGD’s.
- Final report, dash boards and summary presentation of findings with recommendations.
Timeframe / Deliverables:
- Assessment methodology Tools, questionnaires, guidelines designed for review – 6 days
- Final tools, questioners, guidelines designed – 2 days
- Activity progress report – 20 days
- Folder including the electronic files and data – 10 days
- Final report including executive summary, background, methodology, findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Summary presentation to relevant units of IOM Maiduguri and external stakeholders – 15 days
- By the end of first month: Progress report including assessment methodology and finalized tool
- By the end of second month/ end of assignment: Final report including findings and recommendations, summary presentation to IOM Nigeria’s relevant units and stakeholders
- Final report with recommendations and ways of including the needs of PWSN in shelter and settlement
- Planning in NE Nigeria context
- The consultant will be paid on a monthly basis based on the produced outcomes.
- Enumerators and data collection tablets and GPS devices will also be provided by the mission.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant Master’s degree in Development Studies, Statistics, Research Methodologies, Engineering, Urban Planning or any other related technical fields from an accredited academic institution with a minimum five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience
- Solid and demonstrable experience in designing/ implementing disability inclusive approaches in humanitarian shelter and settlements.
- A strong understanding of disability rights and inclusion of persons with disabilities.
- Experience in undertaking needs assessment for shelter response in complex emergencies is essential
- Proven experience in participatory processes and data collection methods (including age and gender, appropriate data collection methods)
- Excellent analytical, research, writing and communication skills
- Expertise and experience in the humanitarian and sector
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Knowledge of social and development issues as well as general displacement related issues.
- Knowledge of shelter and settlements programming is required.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
- For this consultancy, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic/ Pidgin / Hausa / Kanuri is an advantage.
- 1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Women are encouraged to apply
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should o submit their Applications via email to: [email protected] indicating position applied on subject line.
- Candidates are required to share at least one sample report of similar evaluation conducted from previous consulting projects or online links to such works. All samples will be kept confidential.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2020/038 Consultant (ER/Consultancy for Improved Shelter and Settlements Design for PWSN)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).